[iyonix-support] Re: Widescreen LCD's & MDF

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:22:42 +0100

In article <Marcel-1.53-0926114640-b49pErr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ...for the last two or three years laptops have been using resolutions
> rarely if at all available in desktop versions.
> I can imagine that some aspects of the construction would be specific
> to units aimed at the laptop market which might make them more
> expensive but I fail to see why some manufacturers don't try and tap
> into this market.

I have noticed in the past that this is something that often happens in
this market area: they are slow to realise that there is potential for
additional sales outside the portable arena.

> The best guess I can come with is that the expect most users to buy
> on size and not resolution, which is slightly borne out by the
> popularity of 19" 1280x1024 LCD that are more expensive than the 17"
> 1280x1024 units.

Ah, that could be, especially as resolutions in the mainstream market
have traditionally been referred to by codes such as "VGA", so it could
be assumed (with some justification) that few users have any idea what
actual resolutions are being offered and what they mean in practice.

> I wonder how many 19" buyers need the increased size due to poor eye
> sight?

<fx: raises hand>

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!