[PCB_FORUM] Re: UNIX vs PC Workstation

  • From: Andy_Kulik@xxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:36:37 -0400

Paul,

Try the client setup on the PC. It's the same thing..........

Let's say you have a PC call "corp_pcb_serv"
Create a directory c:\psd_tools
Install 15.x in C:\psd_tools with the following command line (!!!)
        <path to cdrom1>\setup.exe admin

After the install is done, create a share psd_tools from c:\psd_tools.
This share is accessable to everyone.
Now go to another PC and map the share psd_tools you created on
"corp_pcb_serv".
Let's say this results in F:\. Now open the "drive" F:\ and cd into
Cadence\SPB_15.2 (or Cadence\PSD_15.1).
You will find a directory called CLIENT_SETUP. run the setup.exe and in
less than 2 min. 15.x is installed on
the client. It's that easy and if you are familiar with the CDS_SITE env
variable you really can setup a very nice
low maintenance PCB design environment. Upgrades? Just do it on the server
and everybody is all set.

I am not sure, but can you get a Solaris workstation similar to a 2.xGHz
P4 2GB RAM 800MHz FSB for less than

Andy

PS: I still believe in LINUX though..... ;-)