[PCB_FORUM] Re: UNIX vs PC Workstation

  • From: paul_lapointe@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 09:46:57 -0400

The only issue we have with the PC's is that everyone need to install the
software on their own machine. In Unix you install the software once on
the server and it's done. Same with updates

Thanks
Paul Lapointe
Manager PCB Design
Mitel
613-592-2122

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and
get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

"Steve.J Miller"
Sent by:
06/29/2004 09:28 AM
Please respond to icu-pcb-forum

        To:     <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        [PCB_FORUM] UNIX vs PC Workstation

I just joined the list, so this topic may have already been covered.
We are currently running on UNIX servers.  They are going to replace them
soon.  Cost wise between a UNIX server and a PC workstation it is pretty
much even.  My supervisor wants to know if switching to the PC workstation
version would be beneficial.  We only have 3 board designers.  The
engineers rlog in to the servers to use Concept.  We have 8-10 engineers
that use Concept though only a few at any given time.
Any thoughts or opinions.

Thank you.

Steve Miller
TRW Automotive Electronics