[PCB_FORUM] Re: UNIX vs PC Workstation

  • From: Andy_Kulik@xxxxxxx
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:18:49 -0400

I think Linux is the way to go:

15.2 will be available on RedHat 3.0 AS (Don't bother with RH 7.3/8.0 or
9.0; these releases are outdated).
In view of a remote client installs on Windows based OS's, well I don't
see an issue really.
On a "server" (any P4 with 2GB RAM and 800MHz frontside bus will do) run
"setup.exe admin" to get the server isntall done.
starting with 15.1, this will create a CLIENT_SETUP directory in the final
installation. Any user can run the
setup.exe in that directory and get 15.x installed (in less than 2 min.)
If you plan to use Capture, you might run into some
minor or major problems. Cadence doesn't seem to apply resources to make
Capture work in a remote client environment.
(Same with PSpice)

my 2 cents

Mike Shannon
Sent by:
06/29/2004 09:58 AM
Please respond to
icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[PCB_FORUM] Re: UNIX vs PC Workstation

Steve,

 You can't rlogin into a windows box.

 You will need to look at a Citrix type solution for the engineers - a
server based solution for the PC world.

 The option would be to look at a Linux platform - the power of PC
hardware - and the ease of use of a Unix - did I really just say that? -
of the command line/interface.

 Mike