[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 1.11 dev 5

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:39:58 -0700

Hey Austen,

Wow, lots of ideas.  Great stuff for my list.

The binocluar skill is a good one. I've seen this done as a "far seeing" skill in other games. Additionally we should get a sight_range_modifier= flag at some point so being on certain terrain could improve a unit's sight range or decrease it. A boggy swamp or forest might be hard to see through while a hill might give you extra visibility.

The fog is really only for the player. The AI works quite differently and out of necessity needs to see the whole map. Getting a feature for AI to ignore you could be done through invisibility or as you've mentioned before a flag that makes the AI wait until you are in their sight range which is still on my list. The sight range modifier flag would solve the scanner scenario as the normal sight could be 0 or 1 and the scanner skill could apply an effect that grants more sight for a duration.

Regarding filling in fog. I think I'd do this with a visible flag on either terrain or regions. Then wherever the terrain or regions with that flag are placed would always be visible to the player.

The fog should currently work as a unit hider.
Basically there are unseen and unexplored.
Once a tile has been seen it becomes explored and the player always knows the terrain that is there afterward. But once you move units so the tile is not in their sight range it becomes unseen. An unseen tile does not show you which enemy units are on it, but you still know the terrain.

Another thought is that I could add an explored flag to terrain or regions so that they would already be explored when the player starts the map, but still unseen.