[huskerlug] Re: A SuSE founder returns

  • From: Patrick <pberry26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:07:18 -0800 (PST)

Severly sniped portions... follow the thread...

> Knoppix is Debian, and is probably the easiest way
> of installing it.
Knoppix uses cloop to run.  Debian has a new
installer, took quite a long time to get it to the
current stage.
The ultimate Knoppix right now, AFAIAC is
http://pclinuxos.com

> I see
> Distrowatch thinks either PClinuxOS or Mepis won't
> be gone in 2007.  PClinuxOS
> is interesting, though I haven't seen any updates
> for my version for awhile.
1. you have, upon install of pclinuxos, the repository
of 5500 programs, and my first move after an install
ts to go to the synaptic (looks like a Rubiks Cube)
and let it update.  Then, I restart the  session.
Huge amount of updates.

2. the PClinuxOS -p93 repository is now in stasis, as
the PCLinuxOS-p94 is developed, since November.  Sorry
'bout that.  Texstar has a small, but, unique,
development team, including a kernel developer!
Texstar was an applications developer for Mandriva.

 I do believe that PCLinuxOS-p94 will blow you away,
and anyone who thinks "3d", will be pleased &
surprised!

> thought they were suppose to update on a regular
> basis, so a person never has
> to remove the old version and put on a new one?

Kernel changes to coincide with new technologies, new
incorporation of standards, mandate that the new
version run in order to utilyze full functions.

> M$ Windows was fairly good at backward
> compatibility, something that extremely
> irks me with Linux, which usually isn't. :'(
Huh????  Try opening any archived records in Office
2003!  Try communicating with University hosted sites,
which are running Office 97, and think it is OK!

Try being in Government Contracting, and trying to
update military weapons documentation that was done in
Word, and now has to be re-written to incorporate
thousands of upgrades in the designs!

There is no 'compatibility' in the lexicon of M$, only
new ways to commit felony theft.  Did you note that in
October 2006, the DOJ rescinded Microsoft
Corporation's probation, and, for continued VIOLATIONS
of law, imposed a NEW three year probation!?

--
P. Berry, USAF (Retired) http://www.af.mil  Linux User #65411
http://lugww.counter.li.org  http://knopper.net/knoppix http://distrowatch.com