[huskerlug] Re: A SuSE founder returns

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:17:30 -0600

Jim Worrest wrote:
>   Knoppix did more than any other Linux distro to break the SuSE hold on me. I
> got a Dell Dimension 8100 computer when I purchased a Dell laptop of the same
> vintage. SuSE 10.2 apparently won't load on it, and Knoppix 4.02 doesn't
> either,  However Knoppix 5.00 seems to work just fine on it.  So,
> Knoppix/Debian will be on it besides any SuSE.  I'm not going to dump SuSE
> (opensuse) or the ReiserFS for that matter, though the latter may get dumped
> before SuSE (opensuse) does, especially on any new installation. Debian is a
> very workable distribution, when install via Knoppix. 8-)   ---Jim

I first began using SuSE in Sept of 1998, with version 5.3.  Between
then and version 8.2 (IIRC), I purchased twenty two boxed sets.   With
SuSE 6.4 I began using ResierFS v3 beta and continued using it there
after.  ReiserFS has save my bacon, and data, at least a dozen times in
the last 5 years.  If there is sudden, unexpected thunderstorm and
lightening strikes nearby, I will have no hesitation pulling the power
plug out of the wall as quickly as I can.   I have done this numerous
times and have NEVER lost a single byte of data.  (This is v3, NOT v4, I
am talking about).  As long as ReiserFS v3 is made available on the
distro I use I will use it.

When Novell bought SuSE their first release had an onerous EULA which
prohibited making copies of the distro, which prevented giving away
copies,  or even backing up your system WITHOUT written permission from
Novell.   I made a stink about this on the SuSE newgroup and even though
they backed down from those terms I had a chilly feeling about the
management at Novell and their plans for SuSE.   Jack's Messman's
constant snipping at Linux and the GPL didn't help the situation.
Niether did the resignation of Chris Stone.   Like you, my first distro
after SuSE was Knoppix!  ;-)   I also tried Debian, Libranet, XANDROS,
Knoppix and MEPIS.   MEPIS is the one I have stayed with since I loaded
v3.4.3 a year and a half ago.

It is NICE being able to choose from several EXELLENT distros.
--
GreyGeek