[huskerlug] Re: A SuSE founder returns

  • From: Patrick <pberry26@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 05:51:17 -0800 (PST)

> > Since he resigned from Novell in early November of
> 2005, commenting
> > that it was "/Too late for me. I just decided to
> leave Suse/Novell.
> > This is no longer the company I founded 13 years
> ago./",
> > Hubert Mantel seems to have left the planet for
> the last year. A
> > further surprise was revealed when I did a search
> for "Hubert Mantel"
> > and got NO hits on Wikipedia. So, I found the
> entry for SUSE to see why
> > it made no mention of its FOUNDER. It did. The
> "founder" of SUSE was
> > listed as Peter MacDonald.
>
> Peter MacDonald, now there's a good German name for
> you! ;-) SuSE was a German
> creation.
>
> > Other sources say "/Mantel was one of four
> > founders of Linux SuSE AG, a German consulting
> group that focused on
> > creating a packaged version of Linux./"
> >
> >  His new "explanation" was that he was "burned
> out", and he "/simply needed some time off./"
> > But after a year's absence he says that he
> realized that he missed
> > working on Linux. So, now he's back at Novell as
> "team leader" of the
> > SUSE kernel QA team.
> >
> >  That raises some interesting questions:
> >

> > 1) Novell paid $210M for SUSE. Being a
> "co-founder" doesn't mean he was
> > still a co-owner when Novell bought SUSE. But,
> assuming he was at least
> > a co-owner, how much of that money did Mantel get?
> At even 1% Mantel
> > wouldn't have to work again if he managed his buy
> out money correctly.
> >
>   Perhaps he's a good German and has a good work
> ethic?  He also may have been
> a very poor money manager?  You know they aren't all
> Bill Gates.
>

> > 2) Mantel was a Novell executive, "Chief of SUSE
> Kernel Development".
> > Now he is a mere "Team Leader" in the SUSE Kernel
> Quality Assurance
> > team. That is a HUGE step down from executive to a
> boring and
> > repetitive Q&A job. So, did Novell ask Mantel, or
> did Mantel ask
> > Novell?

I never did like soap operas.  I want tools and
gadgets that do their jobs, without all the drama.

I use and give out http://pclinuxos.com which even
brings up wifi on laptops!  It is Mandriva, uses
Synaptic, comes with 1900 programs on disc, and has a
repository of applications, now at 5500, but, growing.

Have tested over 400 systems, and have yet to find one
that it fails on.  Yeah, I'm that guy in the retail
store demo section, who runs live CDs to see if the
new computers really work.

If I can't test drive the product, none of my
thousands of clients will ever buy it!

--
P. Berry, USAF (Retired) http://www.af.mil  Linux User #65411
http://lugww.counter.li.org  http://knopper.net/knoppix http://distrowatch.com