[huskerlug] Re: A SuSE founder returns

  • From: Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 11:24:50 -0600

        By the way since there was some comments about the comings and goings at
Novell, I --don't-- think this article was mentioned.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6145615.html?tag=nl.e539

GreyGeek wrote:
> Jim Worrest wrote:
>>   Knoppix did more than any other Linux distro to break the SuSE hold on me.
>> got a Dell Dimension 8100 computer when I purchased a Dell laptop of the same
>> vintage. SuSE 10.2 apparently won't load on it, and Knoppix 4.02 doesn't
>> either,  However Knoppix 5.00 seems to work just fine on it.  So,
>> Knoppix/Debian will be on it besides any SuSE.  I'm not going to dump SuSE
>> (opensuse) or the ReiserFS for that matter, though the latter may get dumped
>> before SuSE (opensuse) does, especially on any new installation. Debian is a
>> very workable distribution, when install via Knoppix. 8-)   ---Jim
>>
> I first began using SuSE in Sept of 1998, with version 5.3.  Between
> then and version 8.2 (IIRC), I purchased twenty two boxed sets.   With
> SuSE 6.4 I began using ResierFS v3 beta and continued using it there
> after.  ReiserFS has save my bacon, and data, at least a dozen times in
> the last 5 years.  If there is sudden, unexpected thunderstorm and
> lightening strikes nearby, I will have no hesitation pulling the power
> plug out of the wall as quickly as I can.   I have done this numerous
> times and have NEVER lost a single byte of data.  (This is v3, NOT v4, I
> am talking about).  As long as ReiserFS v3 is made available on the
> distro I use I will use it.

Well other file systems are getting better. I won't change the file systems of
the distros I already installed, but it could be a case of who wants a file
system with an infamous name on it?  It's one reason I don't like using DSL. :-(

By the way one of the late stories on him can be found at:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72342-0.html?tw=wn_technology_1

Reiser is very good at stopping loss of data, but whatever was in SuSE 7.3
wasn't perfect, enough quick blips of the power would mess it up.  A UPS is one
of the better things to have.

> When Novell bought SuSE their first release had an onerous EULA which
> prohibited making copies of the distro, which prevented giving away
> copies,  or even backing up your system WITHOUT written permission from
> Novell.   I made a stink about this on the SuSE newgroup and even though
> they backed down from those terms I had a chilly feeling about the
> management at Novell and their plans for SuSE.   Jack's Messman's
> constant snipping at Linux and the GPL didn't help the situation.
> Niether did the resignation of Chris Stone.   Like you, my first distro
> after SuSE was Knoppix!  ;-)   I also tried Debian, Libranet, XANDROS,
> Knoppix and MEPIS.   MEPIS is the one I have stayed with since I loaded
> v3.4.3 a year and a half ago.

Knoppix is Debian, and is probably the easiest way of installing it. I see
Distrowatch thinks either PClinuxOS or Mepis won't be gone in 2007.  PClinuxOS
is interesting, though I haven't seen any updates for my version for awhile. I
thought they were suppose to update on a regular basis, so a person never has
to remove the old version and put on a new one?

M$ Windows was fairly good at backward compatibility, something that extremely
irks me with Linux, which usually isn't. :'( However, Vista and what comes
after it probably won't be backward compatible at all.  I even got an email
from a diehard Windows user, he was angry at M$ for going to the idea of
leasing programs, something Billy G., wanted to do with programs even before
Windows. We may make a few more Linux converts yet.

> It is NICE being able to choose from several EXELLENT distros.
> --
> GreyGeek

Yes, and no matter what the file system, I'll probably put newer SuSE's on some
computers, it just might feel a little crowded with some other Linux distros
such as Knoppix/Debian. ---Jim