[huskerlug] Re: A SuSE founder returns

  • From: GreyGeek <jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:30:35 -0600

Martin Wolff wrote:
> I saw today that Jeremy Allison resigned from Novell today over
> concerns about the Microsoft deal. So I guess that kinda means Novell
> breaks even for the day. I wonder if he will move over to the Ubuntu
> side.  The developers were invited by Mark(Ubuntu founder guy) to come
> to Ubuntu after the Microsoft deal.
>
> On 12/21/06, Jim Worrest <jworrest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>         An interesting and short article. ---Jim
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS6962961128.html
>>
>> ----
>> Husker Linux Users Group mailing list
>> To unsubscribe, send a message to huskerlug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> with a subject of UNSUBSCRIBE

Since he resigned from Novell in early November of 2005, commenting
that it was "/Too late for me. I just decided to leave Suse/Novell.
This is no longer the company I founded 13 years ago./",
Hubert Mantel seems to have left the planet for the last year. A
further surprise was revealed when I did a search for "Hubert Mantel"
and got NO hits on Wikipedia. So, I found the entry for SUSE to see why
it made no mention of its FOUNDER. It did. The "founder" of SUSE was
listed as Peter MacDonald. Other sources say "/Mantel was one of four
founders of Linux SuSE AG, a German consulting group that focused on
creating a packaged version of Linux./"

 His new "explanation" was that he was "burned out", and he "/simply needed
some time off./"
But after a year's absence he says that he realized that he missed
working on Linux. So, now he's back at Novell as "team leader" of the
SUSE kernel QA team.

 That raises some interesting questions:

1) Novell paid $210M for SUSE. Being a "co-founder" doesn't mean he was
still a co-owner when Novell bought SUSE. But, assuming he was at least
a co-owner, how much of that money did Mantel get? At even 1% Mantel
wouldn't have to work again if he managed his buy out money correctly.

2) Mantel was a Novell executive, "Chief of SUSE Kernel Development".
Now he is a mere "Team Leader" in the SUSE Kernel Quality Assurance
team. That is a HUGE step down from executive to a boring and
repetitive Q&A job. So, did Novell ask Mantel, or did Mantel ask
Novell?

 The difference between working for free and working
as a "team leader" wouldn't be much if you had gotten any of that
buyout money. My guesses are that he didn't get and/or save any money
from the buy out, and that he needed a job so he went back to Novell,
hat in hand. IF he had money he could have scratched his itch to work
on Linux with just about any non-commercial distro, for no pay. IF he
needed money then he needed to work for a commercial distro. The one he
knows best is SUSE. He asked. That's why he's "for" the Novell/MS deal.
Otherwise he'd have no job.

--
GreyGeek