[haiku] Re: r1a2 on an eeepc 900

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 12:59:55 +0200

Hi,

On 2010-05-21 at 11:48:44 [+0200], philip taylor <scraliontis@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 21 May 2010 09:20, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2010-05-21 at 01:23:11 [+0200], philip taylor <scraliontis@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > scraliontis@xxxxxxxxx>

> > > That sounds to me, like you may have ideas?
> >
> > Hehe, no, that's meant to sound exactly the opposite. If we had a clue,
> > the bug would already be fixed, that's what I was hinting at. :-)
>
> Is there any information i can give or provide,to help the process of this
> being fixed, Stephan. ?

I am sorry, it is really not my area of expertise. Michael Lotz wrote the new
ATA stack, based on work by Marcus Overhagen and also moving code from the
old IDE stack while closely examining the most current ATA specs. Michael and
Axel are aware of the issue, IIRC the big problem is that the machine locks
up hard, which makes it difficult to debug. It seems it was not a priority so
far and the fact that the problem can be solved by simply using the old IDE
stack probably didn't help get this problem fixed either. So it appears lack
of a skilled someone with the right motivation is the biggest obstacle. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan