[haiku] Re: r1a2 on an eeepc 900

  • From: Angel Martin Alganza <ama@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 15:58:27 +0200

Hi Neil,

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 01:13:03AM +0100, Neil Munro wrote:

> http://rockcomputing.ath.cx/projects/

> Both gcc2 and 4 based images, let me know if they fit your needs.

Totally!  Thank you!  :-)

I've downloaded the gcc2 image, booted it under Qemu and installed it
(the installer worked fine, unlike in the image I built myself two
days ago) to a small (220MB) USB drive partition.  After I made that
partition bootable (it won't boot until running makebootable on it) I
booted from it.  I then installed BePDF (installoptionalpackage worked
fine, unlike in the gcc4 image, since there is no BePDF available for
it) without problems.

I now have a very nice lean system which boots from a small partition
with enough free space (over 50MB) for my PDF presentations.  Haiku
boots from this (slow old) USB stick in about 30 seconds to a full
usable desktop on the boxes I'm going to use it in our classrooms,
while Ubuntu takes about two minutes booting from the hard drive
(which, of course, was a great improvement over what Windows XP used
to take).  Also, the “gyro-mouse” functions work perfectly (they never
worked on XP or Ubuntu before ---they worked on Puppy Linux booting
from a USB stick, though).  Although I don't use the gyro-mouse, since
I prefer to use a “professional presenter” from Logitech, but it's
great too see it working fine under Haiku, while XP fails miserably.

It's really beautiful!  :-)

Thank you very much!

Cheers,
Ángel