[openbeos] Re: ppp_server backround app or registrar add-on?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:41:55 +0100 CET

"Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Oh, then the cause was just formulated incorrectly :-)
> > But anyway, a Deskbar replicant can act on its own, there would be
> > no
> > need for a separate application for that reason.
> But what will add this deskbar replicant? And I actually planned
> to have a replicant per connection (if you have two connections:
> one to your work's Intranet with a special netmask and one default
> connection to the general internet, for example). If you enable the
> dial-on-demand option there is no need for having a replicant in the
> deskbar.
> As the whole PPP stack is working inside the kernel I cannot contact
> the Deskbar to add a replicant. Also, I would like to have the
> ability
> to recognize connections that are created inside the kernel.

I think the deskbar replicant should be optional anyway (also for dial-
on-demand). And your local intranet replicant doesn't sound like a DUN
connection.
Technically, if you want to have more than one replicant in the deskbar
you need either several binaries, or you have one running application
that adds these.
IMO something like inetd would be a good place for functionality like
this (or whatever we'll call it). It could also (optionally) display
the link status in the Deskbar, the connection speed, etc.

Bye,
   Axel.