[openbeos] Re: ppp_server backround app or registrar add-on?

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:20:56 +0100 CET

> > But what will add this deskbar replicant? And I actually planned
> > to have a replicant per connection (if you have two connections:
> > one to your work's Intranet with a special netmask and one default
> > connection to the general internet, for example). If you enable the
> > dial-on-demand option there is no need for having a replicant in
> > the
> > deskbar.
> > As the whole PPP stack is working inside the kernel I cannot
> > contact
> > the Deskbar to add a replicant. Also, I would like to have the
> > ability
> > to recognize connections that are created inside the kernel.
>
> I think the deskbar replicant should be optional anyway (also for
> dial-
> on-demand). And your local intranet replicant doesn't sound like a
> DUN
> connection.

This intranet is a dial-up connection to your company's or university's
private network (i.e.: you get access to the private servers by dialing
the company's telephone number with a modem).

> Technically, if you want to have more than one replicant in the
> deskbar
> you need either several binaries, or you have one running application
> that adds these.

I would prefer having the possibility to run multiple connections (only
one replicant would not show which interface is currently sending data
with the transfer indicators (e.g.: blinking monitors or arrows)).

> IMO something like inetd would be a good place for functionality like
> this (or whatever we'll call it). It could also (optionally) display
> the link status in the Deskbar, the connection speed, etc.

If our inetd will support add-ons so there is no PPP-specific code in
it this is a possible solution, too. What I need is a background
process that watches all interface description files and connections.

Bye,
Waldemar