[openbeos] Re: ppp_server backround app or registrar add-on?

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:36:08 +0800

Axel Dörfler wrote:

I think the deskbar replicant should be optional anyway (also for dial-
on-demand). And your local intranet replicant doesn't sound like a DUN connection.
I think he means something like the "LAN" systray icon in XP. AFAIK
XP has one icon for every interface and it "lights up" when an interface is active.
IMO something like inetd would be a good place for functionality like this (or whatever we'll call it). It could also (optionally) display the link status in the Deskbar, the connection speed, etc.
Unless openbeos inetd is going to be very different from every other inetd this doesnt sound like a job for it. inetd accepts network connections and run programs that handler those connections and to me that's very different from ppp-dial-on-demand and/or showing deskbar icons.

---
Lars Hansson