[openbeos] Re: ppp_server backround app or registrar add-on?

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:45:21 +0100 CET

Lars Hansson <Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-misc@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:>
Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > I think the deskbar replicant should be optional anyway (also for
> > dial-
> > on-demand). And your local intranet replicant doesn't sound like a
> > DUN
> > connection.
> I think he means something like the "LAN" systray icon in XP. AFAIK
> XP has one icon for every interface and it "lights up" when an
> interface
> is active.

Yes, exactly! Finally, somebody understands me. :)
I prefer this behaviour over the BeOS one because the icon represents
the connection and thus it only exists when the connection exists.

> > IMO something like inetd would be a good place for functionality
> > like
> > this (or whatever we'll call it). It could also (optionally)
> > display
> > the link status in the Deskbar, the connection speed, etc.
> Unless openbeos inetd is going to be very different from every other
> inetd this doesnt sound like a job for it. inetd accepts network
> connections and run programs that handler those connections and to me
> that's very different from ppp-dial-on-demand and/or showing deskbar
> icons.

That's right, my only complaint is that the task of the ppp_server
would be too small for a whole background process (but this might
change in the future when more functionality will be available).

Bye,
Waldemar