[openbeos] Re: ppp_server backround app or registrar add-on?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:47:35 +0100 CET

"Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx> wrote:
> to add full support for dial-on-demand and a dialing prompt for PPP
> I need some background process that watches for connecting PPP
> interfaces, opens a dialog when connecting (prompting for the
> password
> and username, etc.), and then adds a deskbar replicant that shows
> connection infos. Later this should be used for creating a server
> that
> watches for incoming connections and routes the authentication and
> IP-assigning process to add-ons.
> May I add a new background app (ppp_server) or shall I somehow
> integrate this app into the registrar (maybe by adding registrar add-
> ons
> support)?

As Ingo pointed out, the registrar is not the preferred host.
If the net server cannot start a PPP app itself on demand, I think it's
reasonable to have a separate server running in the background - but of
course, only if DUN on demand has been chosen.
We could also just have something like inetd which is able to do that
(amonst the usual other stuff).

Bye,
   Axel.