[openbeos] Re: binary middle ground

  • From: "Jean-Baptiste Queru" <jb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:11:59 -0700

> Now, the first objection I can see someone making is that this
> compromises our "drop-in component" strategy, and to an extent this is
> true -- but I don't think we're going to reasonably be able to just
> replace the app_server, for example, and have it work with the original
> libbe.so anyway.  Decoding the interactions will be too difficult and
> time-consuming to be worth the effort, especially since these are
> behind-the-scenes interactions which apps and non-dependent parts of the
> system shouldn't care about.

Maybe you will even devise a totally different codepath/datapath between
the application code and the graphics device. I'm convinced that it is
possible to create a graphics system with a responsiveness that would
be on par with BeOS and some eye candy that would compare to
MacOS X, but would eliminate some of the weaknesses of both systems.

(That's a 90-90 rule : you can be 100% fast, 100% beautiful, or 90%
nice and 90% beautiful at the same time. The goal is to hit that specific
balance point).

--

Jean-Baptiste Queru <jb@xxxxxxxxx>