[openbeos] Re: binary middle ground

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 00:21:15 -0400

This is probably the one really outstanding reason *FOR* breaking
compatability. But the fact is that we have no real test process other
than BeOS as it is today. If I could plug in, say print_server_OBOS and run
print jobs
from (say) Productive (SHAMELESS PLUG), then I can be fairly sure that
we have done well.

There are several things that people would like to do that would break this
plug-and-play architecure. Improving APIs, changing compilers, etc. While none
of those things are bad, since we don't have Be's test suites, it would be hard
prove that ANYTHING is right. :-/

Binary compatability is good for the end users. It allows them to use tons of
apps that
are no longer being developed. It is good for us (as developers) because we can
test.