[openbeos] Re: binary middle ground

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:37:09 +0200

Hi Daniel,

At 15:22 30-8-2001 -0500, you wrote:

>c) Source and patched binary compatibility
>
>This is Zenja's middle ground. Old R5 apps should be executable, but
>they may not perform as intended. They may still exhibited unexpected
>crashes (but hey, programs do that anway, he adds sarcastically), but
>they may also work well enough that people could still use them until a
>newer or replacement app is available. This method also has the
>advantage that you don't have to worry much about the binary issue in
>the beginning -- you just write the replacement modules to the R5 API,
>and then, at the end, do some reverse engineering to patch in the
>needed stubs. This, too me, is clearly the path to shoot for

With this patching approach, we'll need to patch into a "function slot", a
function with the same signature,
same functionality (as close as we can get), same interpretation of the
arguments.... It sounds like v1.0 of
our current binary compatibility plan.....

Please tell me I'm missing something :)

Regards,

Ithamar R. Adema
Information Engineering Associates Ltd