[openbeos] Re: binary middle ground

  • From: Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:24:45 +1000

I'd recommend you check up on the BeBook one of these days.  BeOS too =
uses
modules and addons, which is where the BFS driver lives.=20

This
> is=20
> done like that in Linux because of the history: since everyone has =
the
> source,
> everyone can recompile it. But since the BeOS kernel historically is
> closed.
> Since we want to make it open-source, nothing prevent us now from =
using
> the=20
> Linux model, though it maybe not the most apropriate.
>=20
> One other possibility Linux has is the initial ramdisk (initrd), =
which in
> fact=20
> is a primary root filesystem (boot, since Linux doesn't use a =
pseudo-fs
> for /),
> that is used to load drivers that are needed at boot-time but are
> available as=20
> modules, and also most of the time to setup the ISA PnP (maybe not =
with
> the=20
> last kernels). Anyway the initrd still has to be found somewhere on =
the
> disk,=20
> so we still need a minimal fs.
>=20
> Yeah, it's the chicken-and-egg problem :)
> just like the key to open the door is behind the door :-(
>=20
> Fran=E7ois.
>=20
>=20
----------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
----------------------
This email is intended only to be read or used by the addressee.
The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, =
interference
with, distribution, disclosure or copying of this material is =
unauthorised
and prohibited. Confidentiality attached to this communication is not =
waived
or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery to you.

If you have received this message in error, please delete it and notify =
us
by return e-mail or telephone Aristocrat Technologies Australia Pty =
Limited
on +61 2 9413 6300.