[openbeos] Re: app localization

  • From: Begasus <Begasus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:07:07 +0000

After reading the mails about localisation I'd thought I'd hop in as I was
the one who mailed Jonas the changes for a localised Tracker Grep-G.

On 2007-04-18 at 20:29:14 [+0000], François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I don't think Haiku will or should ever support the Zeta locale
> > > API,
> > > if that answers your question. Of course, the eventual translations
> > > may be reused easily.
>
> Well at least it does exist and does the job. Maybe not the way
> everyone wants it, but I still have to see any replacement :p

Letting the OS determinate the language instead of going into the
preferences of each app is way much easier then the other way arround. You
don't have to agree with ZETA but you must admit that this is one off the
best features ZETA has. A lot of people are not so familiar with english as
one tends to believe (I've seen this on several ocassions while translating
stuff over to dutch).

> > Oh, I'm just trying to decide whether or not I think it's worthwhile
> > add Zeta localization to the BeOS applications I'm responsible for.
> > Perhaps somewhat off topic.
>
> For most cases a simple use of the _T() can be kept in the code and
> just #defined out until we get a replacement.

As Francois stated it's enough for most app's to include the header and
_T() to make your app ready for localisation (as you could have seen in the
source I mailed you back).

> > I meant good enough in that context, good enough for now,
> > simple enough not to be too hard to rip out, should Zeta fall
> > off the earth completely.
>
> Also, it's cleaner to place all strings in a single header file, should
> you have to change the l18n method.
>
> François.

There is a ton off locale files lying around in ZETA, should be a
waste/shame of time if they wouldn't/couldn't be reused.

Begasus aka Luc