[openbeos] Re: app localization

  • From: "Stefano D'Angelo" <zanga.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 19:15:19 +0200

2007/4/19, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Stefano D'Angelo<zanga.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm going to use GNU gettext, but following this discussion I wonder
> whether it is supported by Haiku and why you're thinking about a new
> thing (I find gettext simple, integrated and good, I can't find
> anything wrong with it).
> Please enlighten me!

There is nothing wrong with gettext(), and it will work under Haiku as well.
It's just a limited approach to localization; it only handles string
translations. It doesn't know about other localization issues like ordering,
writing numbers, dates, times, etc.

I think that's what locale.h is for.

The OpenTracker Locale Kit aims to solve those issues as well - covered in a
nice and Be-like API.

This makes much more sense :-)

Thanks,
Stefano