[openbeos] Re: app localization

  • From: Begasus <Begasus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:16:11 +0000

On 2007-04-19 at 14:50:24 [+0000], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Begasus,
>
> nobody said that in an alternative localization kit, you would have to
> configure each app individually. I don't know where you have got that
> impression from.

I ment that now you can use localised app's already if you have them baked
into the application itself (look at NetPenguin for instance), handling them
inside the OS is easier for the end-user. Wasn't aware of the effords being
done on a alternative locale system yet. :D

> Also, it was specifically mentioned to reuse the already existing
> translations. So you don't need to worry about anything. :-)

Good to hear, there are tons of files that can be reused then.

> There are some shortcommings in the design of the ZETA local kit, and some
> developers started the design of a new localization kit as part of
> OpenTracker. But like you said, a significant part of the work is in the
> translations of the applications, and it was mentioned that those should be
> reused.

Didn't hear anything 'till now about a localization kit being developed
already for Haiku, thought that was scheduled for past R1, my fault there.
Thanks for clearing this up a bit. ;)

> Best regards,
> -Stephan

Greetz,