[openbeos] Re: app localization

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 10:39:37 +0200 (MEST)

François Revol<revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Axel wrote:
> > It's just a limited approach to localization; it only handles string
> > translations. It doesn't know about other localization issues like
> > ordering, writing numbers, dates, times, etc.
> I'm not so sure of that, I recall reading about all those in the man
> page for the lc* funcs for glibc. It does care about the default time
> format string at least, and others.
> Or at least it has provision for the settings, doesn't mean it actually
> handles using them.

Gettext is only for actual translations - the functions in glibc are covering
the rest of localization as far as it goes for non GUI APIs.

> > The OpenTracker Locale Kit aims to solve those issues as well -
> > covered in a nice and Be-like API.
> But it's not finished yet :P

Sure, else we would have released it already.

> Axel, please turn wrapping on in Be^H^HMail (hey, you're using a
> webmail ??).

I'm currently not at home - but I certainly hate this webmail application :-)

Stefano D'Angelo<zanga.mail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that's what locale.h is for.

Exactly, and locale.h has nothing to do with gettext.
Note, the Locale Kit is/was part of OpenTracker - and since BeOS does not
export any libc locale functionality, delivering the POSIX locale API was
actually part of the Locale Kit as well - and since we didn't use the LGPL, it
is likely that we'll pursue this effort for Haiku as well.
BTW the gettext shared library (libintl.so) is covered by the LGPL (as glibc),
only the accompanying tools are covered by the stricter GPL.

Bye,
   Axel.