[openbeos] Re: app localization

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 22:29:14 +0200 CEST

> "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > From the patch I got I'm guessing this kit does simple string X
> > > string Y lookup, which doesn't take into account that string X
> > > may
> > > have
> > > to be translated to differrent Y strings, depending on context.
> > > :P
> > > Okay, perhaps it's good enough for now?
> >
> > I don't think Haiku will or should ever support the Zeta locale
> > API,
> > if that answers your question. Of course, the eventual translations
> > may be reused easily.

Well at least it does exist and does the job. Maybe not the way
everyone wants it, but I still have to see any replacement :p

> Oh, I'm just trying to decide whether or not I think it's worthwhile
> add Zeta localization to the BeOS applications I'm responsible for.
> Perhaps somewhat off topic.

For most cases a simple use of the _T() can be kept in the code and
just #defined out until we get a replacement.

> I meant good enough in that context, good enough for now,
> simple enough not to be too hard to rip out, should Zeta fall
> off the earth completely.

Also, it's cleaner to place all strings in a single header file, should
you have to change the l18n method.

François.