[openbeos] Re: The importance of a FAT32-driver

  • From: "Gregor Rosenauer" <rosenauer@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 19:39:53 CET (+0100)

Marcus wrote:
> >So please Marcus and/or helpers, improve the current FAT32-driver available
> >on BeBits -
> Thomas Kurschel (author of the IDE replacement driver) is currently looking
> into this.
Great - new IDE-driver + new FAT-driver would make a good match:-)

> In April I'm going to check what already has been done, and I will have some
> more time.
Very good to hear that - I use (Open+)BFS wherever I can of course, but
sometimes FAT-access is needed, and BeOS often handled FAT-drives better than
Windoze...;-]

> I'm also team leader of the media kit, and must say that the current BeOS R5,
> as well
> as the (non public) Media Kit beta one has problems with mpg file playback.
I can only second that..

> The R5 one reads the whole file before starting playback, the beta scans it
> in the background. The first one results in long startup time, the second one
> will
> in conjunction with FAT-32 result in very choppy playback.
ic - did not know that.
How do other players on other OSs handle this? I did not notice such behaviour
on "The Playa" or MediaPlayer in Win, for example...

> regards
> Marcus

Gregor
--