[openbeos] Re: The importance of a FAT32-driver

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 14:07:19 EST (-0500)

Gregor Rosenauer <rosenauer@xxxxxx> wrote on Sat, 02 Mar 2002 18:48:03 CET
 (+0100):
> I'm talking about porting the new OBFS-driver to WinNT...
> IIRC custom filesystems can also have attributes in NT,
> which would be cool in some way (NT-apps won't use them,
> but they'd be visible and editable if writing-support
> was also ported).

That sounds like a good idea.  Unfortunately Microsoft won't
easily permit it, since they require closed source for file system
API (you have to sign a confidentiality agreement, and pay $995US
to them http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/IFSkit/xporderfaq.asp and
that may only get you a license for code that works with the
current version of Windows).  Check their site for more accurate
info than my quick impression.

- Alex