[openbeos] The importance of a FAT32-driver

  • From: "Gregor Rosenauer" <rosenauer@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 15:52:45 CET (+0100)

Recently when I /tried/ watching a movie from my FAT32-partition, or copying a
file to/from it and see Tracker *crawl*, I realised how *important* a snappy
FAT32-driver might be for the success of OpenBeOS!

Most ppl new to BeOS will try to do the things I mentioned above, and they
won't have a large BFS-disk with all their media-stuff on it, and they'll
wonder how choppy / slow BeOS handles them - doubleplusungood for BeOS, and
maybe a lost user.

Even if we tell that user to store everything on BFS-disks (which is simply not
possible if you dualboot with other OSs), s/he will have to copy the files
over, and that will take a while with either Be's or Marcus O.'s FAT32-driver.

So please Marcus and/or helpers, improve the current FAT32-driver available on
BeBits - it already *mounts* a lot faster, but it's slow as h+ and blocks the
CPU heavily... (bad for burning data to CDs:-(( )

Another thing: Now that we have BFS in our hands, we should /think/ about the
possible advantages/disadvantages of porting it to Win (at least
read-support)... it could be a good generator for interest in OpenBeOS - we
would have to make sure that ppl notice which OS it belongs to, of course, but
it could be a huge benefit...

Regards,
Gregor (Hugh)
--
Gregor B. Rosenauer

Be-Developer #E-2441
Student of Computer Science and New Media Engineering

http://www.hugh.at.tf/Believe