[openbeos] Re: The importance of a FAT32-driver

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 00:52:44 +0100

"Gregor Rosenauer" <rosenauer@xxxxxx> wrote:
>Recently when I /tried/ watching a movie from my FAT32-partition,
>or copying a file to/from it and see Tracker *crawl*, I realised how
>*important* a
>snappy FAT32-driver might be for the success of OpenBeOS!

Yes, I fully agree. The current FAT32 driver is sometimes and randomly very
slow.

>Most ppl new to BeOS will try to do the things I mentioned above,
>and they won't have a large BFS-disk with all their media-stuff on it,
>and they'll wonder how choppy / slow BeOS handles them - doubleplusungood for
>BeOS, and maybe a lost user.
Correct.

>Even if we tell that user to store everything on BFS-disks (which is simply
>not possible if you dualboot with other OSs), s/he will have to copy the

files over, and that will take a while with either Be's or Marcus O.'s
FAT32-driver.

>So please Marcus and/or helpers, improve the current FAT32-driver available on
>BeBits -
>it already *mounts* a lot faster, but it's slow as h+ and blocks the CPU
>heavily... (bad for burning data to CDs:-(( )
I would do that, but have currently no time. The driver would need to be
rewritten.
Thomas Kurschel (author of the IDE replacement driver) is currently looking
into this.
In April I'm going to check what already has been done, and I will have some
more time.

I'm also team leader of the media kit, and must say that the current BeOS R5,
as well
as the (non public) Media Kit beta one has problems with mpg file playback.
The R5 one reads the whole file before starting playback, the beta scans it
in the background. The first one results in long startup time, the second one
will
in conjunction with FAT-32 result in very choppy playback.

regards
Marcus