[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:33:21 -0800

> What's wrong with a camel?
> They can run fast, they carry lots of water so they can survive long
> desert
> hauls, they spit on people, they look cool, etc.

Not to mention they have incredibly robust immune systems.  But that's
neither here nor there. =)

Pithy aphorisms and questionable analogies aside, I doubt anybody on
this list is staunchly opposed to OpenBeOS being hardcore multi-user --
just so long as it doesn't interfere with our current slick single-user
experience.  I think that we mainly don't want to be bothered with
implementing it, for a variety of reasons (which have, hopefully, been
obviously enumerated).  If the folks that are gung-ho on multi-user want
to see it actually happen, then they have quite a task before them:
design the modifications in such a way that won't piss off the
single-user crowd and then *implement* it.

> Anyway, multi-user operating systems are cool.

This is a matter of personal opinion and preference.  When it comes to
my desktop machine, I must disagree.  I have to deal with a desktop OS
that has delusions of multi-user/server grandeur on a daily basis (Win2K
anyone?) and these "capabilities" do nothing if not irritate me.

> For the long-term, wouldn't it be better if we enumerated
> the advantages and disadvantages of making OBOS a multi-user

> system, and use that information to decide where we want to

> go?

Well said.  I nominate you to head up the OpenBeOS Multi-User
Exploratory Working Group. =)