[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: David Sowsy <dsowsy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:44:00 -0500 (EST)

>If Apple can do it with MacOS X, then why can't we?
What men have done, men can do.

Why *should* we create a multi-user OS? What new ground does
it break?

I hate logging into machines, especially my own.
I don't need password protection, I have armed guards standing by.
(Everyone is paranoid, as they should be, but any protection on data
should be done on the per-app level, not system wide, because only %5
or less of most people's data is really worth being under lock and
key).

I like booting up my OS and being ready to go. Everyone has their own
reasons for following  the BeOS route, mine was that it was the most
Amiga-like OS and NOT a Linux system. If I want to be a power tripping
mofo and have god-like control of users, I may as well break out my old
HST modem and start a BBS. :)

Hell, I don't even want to boot up an OS, I want to just power the machine
on and off, and no waiting for silly file systems to "shut down", like any
other stinkin' appliance. My point is, what's the goal here?

If we want to "leave hooks" so multi-user support can be added on, fine.
It doesn't have to all be thrown into R1 or R2...and can be left
"as an exercise to the student", or create a 3rd party opportunity.

> Peter

David Sowsy    .    /|\  BeOS Rebel and Coder   .  *  .
http://dsowsy.nanorevolution.com   .   *   .   *   .  .