[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: Erik Jakowatz <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:07:17 -0800

Michael Phipps wrote:

> But you haven't answered the fundamental question.
> Is this so that Mom and Dad and the kids can share a computer?
> Or is this so 100 different people can all telnet into a machine and
> be ABSOLUTLY SURE that no one can stomp anyone else?
>
> Those are 2 *MASSIVELY* different projects with different requirements.

I would like to add that I have yet to hear a sound justification for
why OpenBeOS should have hard-core UNIX-style multi-user capabilities.
There are quite a number of very solid FREE server OSs out there; I
can't think of what we would bring to the table that they don't already
provide -- BeOS is a desktop/workstation OS, fer cryin' out loud.

I would, however, really like to see the "Mom/Dad/kids sharing" model
get implemented.