[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: "Dan Martin" <dan.martin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:04:15 -0700

> The BeOS is not a server OS and really couldn't be considered as a
> viable replacement for Linux for the things that you are talking
about.
> Since OBOS R1 will replicate this, that pretty much describes R1 as
> well.

> Possibly for R2 or beyond, we could move in the direction of a server
> OS, but that is a waste of time, IMO. In this world, there are servers

> and there are clients -- they have quite different designs to suit
> different purposes. The BeOS is an absolute kick-ass client OS (they
> don't get any better). Any attempt to hybridize it into a server OS as

> well would just turn it into a camel. But that's just my opinion.

What's wrong with a camel?
They can run fast, they carry lots of water so they can survive long
desert
hauls, they spit on people, they look cool, etc.

Anyway, multi-user operating systems are cool.  Obviously, R1 is going
be single user.  For the long-term, wouldn't it be better if we
enumerated
the advantages and disadvantages of making OBOS a multi-user system, and
use
that information to decide where we want to go?  Seems that would work
better than a bunch of people sharing anecdotes trying to show that one
route is better than another.

Later,
Dan Martin