[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: Peter Mogensen <apm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:39:14 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Michael Phipps wrote:
> >The ability to have processes (oh,sorry... teams :) ) running with
> >different privileges is essential to have a secure
> >system. Security is becoming more and more important for home
> >users. .. and no, It's not just about keeping all your ports
> >closed. Security holes in email clients and browsers can also
> >compromise a system and - if we only have a single root-user - not be
> >prevented from opening the ports which were supposed to be closed.
>
> Ah. But there is the thing. A system that has a multi-user FS (BeFS already
> is) and decent login and home directory management would cure what I think
> you are indicating as a problem.

A multiuser FS is better, but not enough. Multiuser is not only good for
TCP/IP-server software. Home users can run cron-jobs and other
background tasks too while others are using the machine.
And more and more home users are online 24x7 now (at least here in
DK). They _will_ be running TCP/IP server software.

Peter