[openbeos] Re: Singleuser vs Multiuser

  • From: "Daniel Reinhold" <danielr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:47:48 CST

>On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Daniel Reinhold wrote:
>> In my mind, BeOS is a single-user, desktop OS. If we can make a few
>> minor changes to accomodate having different user settings with
>> separate logins, etc. that is fine. But trying to make BeOS into a
>> server OS (which is what mult-user entails) is a whole different
thing.

>I strongly dissagree with this. Multiuser doesn't imply dedicated
server OS and I'm not looking for a "single-user, desktop OS with a few
changes to accomodate having different user settings". I'm looking for
an OS to replace Linux in my home. I'm not looking for a industry
strength Linux replacement, but I want to be able to software like
Apache, PostgreSQL, named, postfix and so on,  without missing
features. An example would be the ability to run a suid CGI script on
my home server.

>> They say a camel is a horse designed by a committee. Let's not
design a
>> camel. The BeOS cannot be everything everybody might want it to be,
and
>> that's just as well. There are plenty of high quality, free server
OS's
>> for Intel machines. We don't need to compete there. Let's not waste
our
>> time trying. Let's create a kick-ass desktop OS. That pretty much
means
>> single user.
>
>I'm not talking about competing. I'm talking about that I have a need
for Multiuser even that I'm not running a large server installation,
and that I would not be interested in an OS, which didn't aim beyond
single-user.

>Peter

The BeOS is not a server OS and really couldn't be considered as a
viable replacement for Linux for the things that you are talking about.
Since OBOS R1 will replicate this, that pretty much describes R1 as
well.

Possibly for R2 or beyond, we could move in the direction of a server
OS, but that is a waste of time, IMO. In this world, there are servers
and there are clients -- they have quite different designs to suit
different purposes. The BeOS is an absolute kick-ass client OS (they
don't get any better). Any attempt to hybridize it into a server OS as
well would just turn it into a camel. But that's just my opinion.