[openbeos] Re: Interested in Porting Applications

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 22:23:48 +0200 CEST

"Joseph Jackson IV" <jadaz87@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hello,
>
> I am a C++ programmer (or developer as the open source world calls
> us). I am interested in porting Non-BeOS applications to Haiku (, but I
do not know know where to start. I was wondering I someone whould be
willing to direct me on the right path. I have BeOS experience but only
as an user (BeOS 5 Professional way back when :-D ). Right now i am on
Ubuntu Linux "Dapper Drake" 6.06, but I also program in the Microsoft
Visual Studio Enterpise IDE.

Install some BeOS flavour (BeOS 5 Pe + dev kit, or Zeta, but stay away
from the so-called "Dev Edition", supposedly busted devkit).  Then,
have a peek at the sample code directory which should show up if you
got the dev kit properly installed. Same goes for the Be Book, although
there's an annotated one available at:

        http://www.beunited.org/bebook/

Look around at BeBits.com, there might be an app or two with source
included.

That's how I did it. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,
-- Mikael