[openbeos] Re: Interested in Porting Applications

  • From: Finn Bastiansen <beos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:37:56 +0200

Hi,

it would be very helpful to have a BeOS/Haiku port of the wxWidgets
toolkit. Porting this would mean one year's work for a single person (as I
was told on the wxwidgets list) - but less time with several people working
on it :-)
I am also interested in helping out whenever my spare time allows me to and
of course constrained by my programming experience. I heard about some
other people also being interested. Additionally, some initial work has
already been done (not by me), so it wouldn't be necessary to start from
scratch.

"WxWidgets is best described as a native toolkit. Instead of emulating the
display of widgets using graphic primitives on the different supported
platforms, wxWidgets provides a thin abstraction to the native widgets. In
other words, the underlying wxWidgets code prefers calling a native widget
on the platform, instead of reimplementing custom widgets. This leads to a
faster, more native looking interface[...]WxWidgets is not just designed to
display GUIs. It also has a built in ODBC based database library, an
Interprocess Communication layer, socket networking functionality, and
more."
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxWidgets]

This would lead to a lot of new apps for BeOS/Haiku. Of course Waldemar is
right that Haiku-native apps would be helpful as well.

Greetings,
Finn