[openbeos] Re: Interested in Porting Applications

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 22:03:08 +0200

Hi,

> I am a C++ programmer (or developer as the open source world calls us). I
> am interested in porting Non-BeOS applications to Haiku (, but I do not
> know know where to start. I was wondering I someone whould be willing to
> direct me on the right path. I have BeOS experience but only as an user
> (BeOS 5 Professional way back when :-D ). Right now i am on Ubuntu Linux
> "Dapper Drake" 6.06, but I also program in the Microsoft Visual Studio
> Enterpise IDE.

How about picking up the AbiWord port? You don't start from scratch... and
it is something very useful. :-)

Do you need help getting started setting up a development environment on
Ubuntu? If you know how to program X, you could also try to "port" the
app_server test environment. If this work was done, you could run the Haiku
app_server inside an X window (and test your applications there). It might
be tricky to get this working, but the Linux build environment already has
a compatibility layer so that various Haiku classes work on Linux. I don't
know how much work this would involve.

Best regards,
-Stephan