[openbeos] Re: Icon Design Contest submission

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:54:45 +0200

On 2006-08-13 at 16:51:36 [+0200], Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> > > Another interesting discussion on the forums was about the symbol for
> > > preferences:
> > > Should we stick with the tick mark, use a slider (reference Stippi's
> > > set), a
> > > spanner (reference Dropline Neu), or something different?
> >
> > I have done a couple of improvements to my set, among them that I
> > switched to
> > the spanner. It has the clearest silhouette and the association to
> > "tweaking
> > something" is very strong. I'll send my new icons as soon as I have worked
> > some more on the Trash icon.
>
> Aww, just as I was about to say "I like stippi's slider"! A spanner to me
> suggests more repairing than tweaking - a slider seems to suggest more of a
> personal adjustable preference that you're actually allowed to modify.
> Maybe you can tweak the performance of your car with a spanner, but most
> drivers would shy away from doing that as it's not officially supported.
> Stick a "car performance" slider on the dashboard though and people would
> be much happier in the knowledge the manufacturer intends them to adjust
> the settings to their liking. Sorry that the metaphor got somewhat
> stretched in the middle of that sentence!

I totally agree with you. BUT :-). The slider doesn't have a good silhouette
at all (unfortunately). My girldfriend said she recognized the spanner right
away, and figured what the purpose was, while she didn't recognize the slider.

> On the voting thing, I'm not sure a vote is particularly helpful at all
> really. Comments that can somehow be linked to each set might be more
> helpful (and maybe people could then vote to agree with certain comments?)

Between the complicated-ness of this suggestion, and the simplicity of "just
voting", I think the rating thing that we are establishing is a good
compromize.

> For example, "I dislike the way the shadow is cut off in stippi's
> application icon". (And in the interest of balance "I really like stippi's
> set overall, particularly the perspective used in the icons")

Ah yeah, forgot to mention I will improve that too... :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan