[openbeos] Re: Icon Design Contest submission

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:07:10 +0200 CEST

"Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Stephan wrote:
> >Something on "winner"... it isn't clear at all wether the contest
> > will have /one/ winner. The purpose is more that of brain storming.
> > It might very well happen that we take one set that most people
> > liked and add a design property from another set which many people
> > liked as well (if possible).
> Different people seem to be making different interpretations of the
> same thing. Haiku announced a contest (headline quoted from haiku-
> os.org: "Announcing the Haiku Icon Contest"), so that's what it
> should
> be. And contests have clear winners; that is the nature of any
> contest.

Sure, the contest will have a clear winner. But when having "design"
contests of any kind, the actual outcome may vary greatly from the
winning submission. It's even fairly often the case that none of the
winning submissions are actually realized (for whatever reason, mostly
cost and/or different ideas of the people who decide), and even if they
are realized, they are often adapted to the needs and wishes of those
who decide.
All I'm saying is, you have to separate the winner of the contest from
the icon set that will be used in Haiku. They may look the same,
similar, or just different.

Bye,
   Axel.