[openbeos] Re: IDE Questions?

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:45:31 -0400

On 6/18/07, Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

While we use Jam for the OS, it would take a little (maybe very little)
work to make something like the Makefile-engine that Be had.

I wrote a Jamfile-engine years ago and it was documented in Haiku
newsletter articles :)

It is still on the web-site:

http://haiku-os.org/documents/dev/the_art_of_jamming_all_parts

Here is the Jamfile-engine itself:
http://open-beos.sourceforge.net/samples/Jamfile-engine.zip

The Jamfile-engine needs a bit more polish (ahem, Ingo?) and then I
could release it on BeBits.

I'm not sure, but I think Jammin may have just spit-out Jamfile-engine
files. I remember emailing with the author.

Regarding editors, I think it would be silly to write our own. We have
Pe, VIM (which can be made more friendly in Cream-mode), and many
others.

I think we should provide a basic IDE, and when Java gets ported we
can get Eclipse, or people can port their favorite other IDEs. Like
Ingo says, a full blown IDE is a big project and best served by third
parties.

Ryan