[openbeos] Re: IDE Questions?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:14:56 +0200

Hi Marcus,

> > Completely disagree:)
> You just convinced me to unsubscibe from this list!

it is important to recognize the well meaning of what Vasilis is trying to
say. I agree with you that the Haiku project needs to stay focused. People
are obviously emotional about Haiku, and everyone has their opinion about
how to handle things best. But it doesn't mean that we should upset anyone.
I think the message in what Vasilis wrote is that he sees value in having
certain application development projects under the Haiku umbrella, he did
not write that the same people currently coding the Haiku os are supposed
to be involved in developing these apps. Instead, I would read his message
that - just to give an example - the WebKit port could take place in the
Haiku source tree, but not necessarily by the existing Haiku developers.
Now, I don't necessarily agree with Vasilis, I think it might take up time
of the existing developers, like when build system problems arise, or when
they read the additional flood of commit messages, or when they take part
in discussions related to any such sub projects. But I actually agree that
there is value in the *feeling* of having a united project. I just see the
downsides too, some of which I have just outlined. However, I see no reason
to answer Vasilis mail in a way that might upset him.

Best regards,
-Stephan