[openbeos] Haiku Browser (was Re: IDE Questions?)

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:58:07 -0400

On 6/18/07, Pier Luigi Fiorini <pierluigi.fiorini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks to touch this topic.
A lot of time ago I heard about some projects to bring a new Net+ to
life. Someone wanted to do a new rendering engine (I think this task
it's really hard to accomplish), someone else wanted a BMozillaView
someone else talked about porting WebCore to BeOS.
Is something moved on? Do you know any URL?

There have been several projects started for a new BeOS/Haiku browser.
None have gotten too far, besides the Firefox port.

I am currently keeping an eye on the development of WebKit, as I feel
that is the best candidate for a future NetPositive-style lightweight
browser. Because of the port to Windows, the WebKit code has become
much more portable, and the Windows port should provide a good idea of
what is needed for porting. This is one of my many pet projects, but I
haven't yet sunk my teeth into it.

I want to do some research and get organized, and provide a list of
"TO DO" items required for the port. These items could be published
and people could take them on, bit by bit, and we could get the port
moving a lot faster than if just one person tried doing all the work.
I feel it can be done this way because WebKit seems pretty organized
and has well-defined interfaces required for each port (mouse
handling, drag and drop, etc.) So each one of those components could
be one of the TO DO items.

I'll get the latest WebKit code and take a look in the next week or so.

Ryan