[openbeos] Re: IDE Questions?

  • From: "DarkWyrm" <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:49:24 -0400 EDT

> Hi Folks,
>
> Has anyone done any work or has there been any discussions on
> replacing BeIDE yet?
>
> Over the weekend I have been looking at Scintilla, and if we (by we,
> mean I have looked and its way too complicated for me to port alone!)
> could get that working under BeOS / Haiku, this would make a great
> start to the editing component of and IDE.
>
> The way I see HaikuIDE working would be:
>
> Code Editor (using Scintilla)
> Project Manager (producing Jam files?)
> Resource Editor - this wouldn't be a drag and drop GUI application
> like Borland Builder provides, more like ResEdit on MacOS.
>
> All working with GCC etc. underneath.
>
> Am I far wrong?  Would there be an issue with Haiku Inc, "copying"
> the
> BeIDE if Borland built it, or is the Code Editor / Project Manager
> combo that generic that it Borland couldn't really complain?
Well, we have the start on two of those three components you mentioned
- the code editor and the resource editor. A while ago I started a
QuickRes-like resource editor which needs some more work to be useful.
Sources for that are in the tree. Pe is under an appropriate license
and while it needs some work to make it more suitable for a regular IDE
environment, it's got a lot of features that are conducive to
development.

--DarkWyrm