[openbeos] Re: IDE Questions?

  • From: "Andrew McCall" <andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:28:32 +0100

On 18/06/07, Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrew McCall wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Has anyone done any work or has there been any discussions on
> replacing BeIDE yet?
>
> Over the weekend I have been looking at Scintilla, and if we (by we, I
> mean I have looked and its way too complicated for me to port alone!)
> could get that working under BeOS / Haiku, this would make a great
> start to the editing component of and IDE.

It looks very python oriented to me.

I have had a cursory glance at the source code, and it does all seem
to be C/C++ - what makes you think its Python oriented?

I wouldn't try to port something like this - I would start from scratch.

> The way I see HaikuIDE working would be:
>
> Code Editor (using Scintilla)
> Project Manager (producing Jam files?)
> Resource Editor - this wouldn't be a drag and drop GUI application
> like Borland Builder provides, more like ResEdit on MacOS.

While we use Jam for the OS, it would take a little (maybe very little)
work to make something like the Makefile-engine that Be had.

I don't really mind what the build system is, but the only thing with
using makefiles is we wouldn't be able to open some of the source to
the apps that come bundled with Haiku.  For instance, we couldn't open
StyledEdit with our own IDE as it would produce Makefiles, not
Jamfiles.  We would have to port the build back to Jam after we
changed/added things.

> All working with GCC etc. underneath.
>
> Am I far wrong?  Would there be an issue with Haiku Inc, "copying" the
> BeIDE if Borland built it, or is the Code Editor / Project Manager
> combo that generic that it Borland couldn't really complain?

Metrowerks built BeIDE, not Borland. I interviewed there to work on it. :-)

Ah!  I *knew* I was writing something wrong when I sent that email :)
I really liked BeIDE, its been the best IDE I have used since THINKS
Pascal's IDE on MacOS, which incidently is almost the same as BeIDE.

--
Thanks,

Andrew McCall
andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx