[openbeos] Re: IDE Questions?

  • From: "Kaoutsis" <kaoutsis@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:08:31 +0300 EEST

Axel Dörfler> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2007-06-18 at 11:02:20 [+0200], Andrew McCall <
> > andrew.mccall@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Has anyone done any work or has there been any discussions on
> > > replacing BeIDE yet?
> > IMHO, BeIDE adds very little value. Actually its best feature is
> > the
> > source
> > level debugger. The editor is good, but Pe is even better. The
> > project
> > management is, well, minimal and is no good fit for bigger
> > projects.
> > And
> > for small projects you can as well use the makefile-engine + Eddie/
> > Pe.
> >
> > In my eyes, something that would really add value would have the
> > power of
> > Eclipse for Java: syntax-based autocompletion, live documentation,
> > code
> > templates, refactoring (!), instant compilation, integrated support
> > for
> > SCMs ... And some of those are really tough calls for a C++ IDE.
> >
> > Anyway, just as a browser and an office solution, a fully featured
> > IDE is
> > nothing Haiku should even try to tackle. It's a third-party
> > opportunity.
>
> Completely agreed.

Completely disagree:)
the idea of greating only the os, imho, is totally wrong.
Let's say that the day after tomorrow, haiku is ready.
(everything that currently is in the source tree, have
found the way to the perfectness, kernel is rock solid,
have 500 drivers, gui has a perfect api, app_server is drawing,
like a famous painter, say Picasso!
But haiku has only these little problems: have no browser,
have no office suite, have no IDE, then what?
Ah, i hear some people saying, don't worry, these apps will
be build by the community. But if there is no community outside
haiku, we have to build these apps, by ourselves!

I believe haiku is the community. Haiku is a way of thinking
about computing. If haiku is only the system,
we decrease the number of people to get involved.

We must not disappoint those people, saying: sorry
if you want to build a browser, build it by your own.
if you want to build a source level debugger, build it by your own.
if you want to build a IDE, build it by your own.

Why someone will build an IDE for us, a browser, an office suite,
exactly as we please, and we will waiting to get this huge job to the
end
without helping him?

If his code were in the haiku source tree, he has more chances, to be
helped and finish his work. Also i think technically is not only
good but is the only change to follow the haiku progress.

Also is good and from an other point: if we had a browser
to play with,
an office to make some little docs, etc
that will help all the "devs" psyhologycally that they making
a useful and serious ergo (product).

And at the same time we have some little apps like StyledEdit
into our os tree, with the argument: r5 had it.

Why not getting BePDF in the haiku source tree?
I am very pleased that BEPDF is working on haiku, and i can
read some docs, i have found some bugs for BePDF, so where
should they go? (i guess not to /dev/null:))

We must give those people a chance, because i am afraid,
no one else will.

I am watching haiku from 2000. Now i understood what haiku
is about: a nice community to contact people and a nice place to dream,
and to
create simultaneously.

bye,
        Vasilis