[haiku-web] Re: Trac migration to AccountManager

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 19:57:27 +0200 CEST

"Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Not sure if I understand what you're saying, but in the long run,
> > if we
> > intend to keep our user databases separate, we definitely should
> > have
> > some mechanism to synchronize them automatically from time to time.
> Besides the fact that for security reasons we may not be allowed the
> two
> systems sitting on different server to access each other's DBs, we
> are
> making the conscious decision to avoid any dependencies between two
> different systems with a totally different code base and serving
> different purposes, in order to make each of them easier to
> maintain/upgrade independently of the other.
>
> In other words, think of it as two different systems, each with their
> own (separate) login/user registration mechanisms, just like the
> website
> and Berlios, for example. :)

I know what you are getting at, but IMO it's just a poor excuse to do
it right (which might be perfectly explained by limited resources,
though).
Of course they are different services, as is Google mail, Blogger, you
name it. But there is only one provider of the service, and having to
create more than one account is just annoying. It's perfectly fine to
have a user database that serves different purposes.

In any case, having two different user accounts is not an acceptable
solution for me if it's not just a short-term temporary arrangement.

Bye,
   Axel.