[haiku-web] Re: Fwd: [General] Add Comunity Project

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:38:39 -0700

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All being said, I do have the feeling that you want to force Drupal to
> behave exactly like a wiki, and I don't see why this is necessary. If
> what you want is a wiki -- with all its benefits and drawbacks -- then I
> would say go ahead and use one. I say this with the best of intentions,
> btw. :)

Yes, this is what I personally want - because for collaborative
documentation efforts, like source control, peer review of changes is
very, very useful, IMO. In an open-source community, changes that
occur without any review can tend to become an issue later down the
road. If our intention is to build such a system, I believe the system
should provide as many review points as possible for all collaborators
to use for maintaining the high quality documentation that we desire.

Letting the website content get changed by anyone, and then having few
ways of noticing/finding those changes on a daily basis is possibly
going to decrease the quality of website content IMO. Collaborative
systems are extremely susceptible to spam - and right now on our
website, that spam only comes in the form of comments - and is
fortunately very easy to maintain as such - without enough controls up
front to mitigate this potential issue, I suspect it can become
troublesome.

Of course, perhaps this won't happen at all, I don't know... Just
speaking from experience with other systems.

- Urias