[haiku-web] Re: Fwd: [General] Add Comunity Project

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:28:25 -0700

Howdy,

Urias McCullough wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Dennis d'Entremont
> <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> But if you want to be on the safe side, you can always enforce revisions
>>> and add the diff module...
>>>
>>> http://drupal.org/project/diff
>>>
>>> ...so that changes can be easily reviewed and reverted if needed.
>>>
>> This isn't a bad idea either. Given that we all make mistakes and having an
>> easy way to revert back would be great.
>>

> There are a couple areas I can immediately think of where this
> probably would be a bad idea to support:
>
> Forum posts
> Blog posts
>
> In those situations, it would be unwanted to allow others to modify
> the original posting, as it's not meant to be "collaborative" in the
> same sense.
>
> Perhaps we should setup content types specifically designed for
> collaboration (such as the community pages, how-to guides, etc.) and
> start converting pages like these over to those types so that all can
> contribute?

The website has the following content types (among a few others):

- Blog entry
- Community pages
- Conference
- Document for developers
- Document for users
- Forum topic
- News post
- RFC
- Team page

Permissions for each of these can be set in a very finely-grained
manner, so there is no need to be worried about the situation that you
describe.

> Also, would it be possible to update the email notifications to
> include the diffs? And possibly have a page to see all changes made to
> a select number of "subscribed" pages? For example, with wiki's a user
> can moderate certain pages, and have a single location to see all
> changes recently made to their "moderated" pages to ensure no
> incorrect changes have been made to those areas... Features like that
> are what make wiki's so easy to use, IMO.

Without being totally sure what you mean by moderation in this
particular context, since it is possible to assign permissions on a
content type and user role basis, it should be easy to define who can do
what and where.

Listing changed pages is possible too, through the use of views; and
since views can be assigned permissions, it is also possible to define
who has access to them.

With regards to notifications, there are multiple modules available for
Drupal; I don't know which one would work best, but I imagine that

All being said, I do have the feeling that you want to force Drupal to
behave exactly like a wiki, and I don't see why this is necessary. If
what you want is a wiki -- with all its benefits and drawbacks -- then I
would say go ahead and use one. I say this with the best of intentions,
btw. :)

Cheers,

Jorge